Wednesday, December 29, 2010
DIY Feathered Headbands
These feathered headbands would be the perfect accessory to your upcoming New Year's Eve festivities!
Tools and Materials
Fabri-Tac fabric glue
Scrap of ribbon
Needle and thread
Hot-glue gun and hot-glue sticks
Feather pad (hackle) or selection of feathers to create one
Nonstick surface, such as a hot-glue mat or leftover label-backing paper
Fashion Headband How-To
To make a feather pad (hackle)
1. Select nice-looking feathers. Snip excess fuzz from around quill with sharp scissors.
2. Place a small dab of Fabri-Tac onto a nonstick surface. Arrange feathers with quills meeting in the dab of glue. Let dry for one hour. Peel feathers from nonstick surface.
To create a ribbon flower
1. Sew a running stitch on one side of ribbon with a needle and thread.
2. Pull thread while sliding ribbon down to create flower.
3. Hot glue button to center of ribbon flower.
To Assemble Headband
1. Look in mirror with headband on to determine placement of feathers. Mount feather pad to headband with Fabri-Tac or hot glue, and secure with clothespin until dry.
2. Add ribbon flower at base of feather hackle with hot glue and secure with a clothespin until dry.
All tools and materials available at most crafts stores.
Read more at Marthastewart.com: Fashion Headband - Martha Stewart Crafts