Wednesday, October 3, 2012

workout wednesday

any of you who know me know how much i really enjoy working out and maintaining a healthy lifestyle.
 i believe in everything in moderation. working out when you can even if its only for 15-20 minutes, eating healthy 80% of the time, etc...

i also think if you make small changes/sacrifices they can add up to big results over time. maybe that means taking the stairs rather than the elevator, having one slice of bread instead of two on your sandwich, using nonfat milk instead of 2% percent in your morning latte, just small changes that, at the end of the day, you don't end up even realizing were sacrifices. then, it's ok if you can't fit in a workout daily, because you've still found small ways to challenge your body daily. 

i believe it's also all about moderation when it comes to diet. i try to focus on eating healthy, nutrient rich foods that fuel my body and help it function at its best by making small changes that make big differences such as subbing whole wheat flour for white in recipes, using quinoa or other healthy grains rather than white rice or pasta when i'm wanting some carbs, and even finding a super healthy egg substitute when baking (i'll fill you in on this trick soon!) don't get me wrong, i love a good burger and fries, or ice cream dessert, and when i know the majority of what i've eaten has been good for my body, i don't feel guilty indulging in the occasional fried treat! 


i've not always been this way. i've had my bouts of restricting my calories and being a major calorie counter, only to find myself actually gaining weight because i'd binge on all the 'bad' foods i never allowed myself, then i'd feel guilty for being 'weak' and i'd get off track on my diet rather than allowing myself to eat any food so long as it was in moderation and allow myself to truly enjoy the indulgence, savor it, and move on...not dwell on what i 'could not' have. i've found that when i don't feel deprived i don't find myself craving the 'bad' stuff as much either simply because i know that if i really want it, i can have it.  

i still definitely slip up from time to time and must remind myself that my body is what i put into it and what i make of it. it is a gift from God that i want to do my best to take care of. 

boy, i've rambled...that was only meant to be a quick introduction for a new feature i want to start. i know this blog was originally made as a design blog, but there are other areas of my life that i have great passion for and would love to share with you. health and fitness being one of those passions. sooo... without further ado i'd like to start workout wednesdays, where i will be posting a favorite workout, recipe, healthy lifestyle concept, what have you, to help you (and myself) stay inspired to take care of our bodies! 

but i have a favor to ask of you too...if i give you some of my tips/ideas, can you return the favor? i'm always looking for new ways to challenge my body, fuel it in a delicious and healthy manner, or simply be motivated to take the time to squeeze in a workout when lying on the sofa during viv's naptime sounds much more appealing...

so how's about it? i scratch your back and you can scratch mine?..


i'll leave you with one of my favie types of lunges courtesy of womenshealthmag.com. i've noticed such a difference in the definition of my legs since incorporating this move into my leg workouts.







"Stand with your feet hip-width apart, hands on your hips. Take a big step back with your left leg, crossing it behind your right. Bend your knees and lower your hips until your right thigh is nearly parallel to the floor (shown). Keep your torso upright and your hips and shoulders as square as possible. Return to start. Perform 10 reps and repeat, stepping back with your right leg. Add dumbbells once you master the movement with perfect form."




xoxo





{description of move and photo from womenshealthmag.com}

  

No comments:

Post a Comment